How to Paint Kitchen Backsplash Designs
Kitchen backsplash designs range from the understated to the elaborate, and their price tags vary to match. One way to create custom kitchen backsplash designs on a budget is to paint your backsplash. Compared to laying tiles or installing a marble or stainless steel backsplash, it is a lot more cost effective to paint your backsplash. Saving money on materials allows you to get more creative with your designs or spend that money elsewhere in your kitchen.
Here is a brief guide to help you paint your backsplash in no time without having to break the bank:
- Decide which colors you want to use. The backsplash is a great place to pick an accent color that complements other colors in your kitchen.
- Measure the area to be painted and purchase the paint you need. It is always good to buy a little more than required - experts suggest 10 percent extra should cover touch ups and repairs.
- Take a piece of medium-grit sandpaper and sand the area where you want to paint the backsplash. Wipe the debris away with a damp piece of cloth. Now use a fine-grit sandpaper to finish the task. Clean the debris again.
- Use a paintbrush or a roller to paint your kitchen backsplash.
- After you finish the first coat, let the paint dry. Depending on the type of paint you are using, this can take anything from 1 to 8 hours.
- Once the first coat is thoroughly dry, add a second coat of paint. Two coats are enough for most projects.
There many kitchen backsplash designs to choose from. However, if you don't want to spend too much, just painting your backsplash in your favorite colors can create a big change in your kitchen.